When time and place matter

Logistics can be organized in a myriad of ways. The main thing is to deliver the goods to the right place at the right time safely and reliably.

Sales and Logistics Manager Yrjö Lundell, in charge of logistics at Chemigate, emphasizes the importance of meeting delivery schedules.

“For us, delivery schedules agreed on with the customer are extremely important,” he stresses.

Collaboration with transport companies

Chemigate arranges its deliveries in cooperation with transport companies. Working with local companies often brings additional benefits in the form of increased flexibility and improved quality.

“Our main targets, in addition to delivery times, can be expressed in two words: safety and cost-efficiency,” explains Lundell.

Safety is the cornerstone of Chemigate’s logistics operations.

Lundell continues, “On the other hand, we need to be cost-efficient to be competitive in the market. We strive to improve our cost-efficiency in collaboration with transport companies.”

Clear instructions, for smooth work processes

Chemigate’s products are delivered all over Finland, to elsewhere in Europe, and even sometimes to East Asia. Bulk deliveries of powders or liquids account for some 90% of deliveries, with the remaining 10% consisting of products transported in IBC containers or big bags.

For the transport chain to be efficient, both loading and unloading must run smoothly.

“Receiving clear instructions from the customer makes drivers’ work easier. They often unload the goods independently,” explains Lundell.

Putting safety first

However important delivery schedules and smoothness of the work are, safety always comes first. This includes driver safety but also safety on customer premises and at Chemigate’s own loading bay.

“Dangerous situations may arise because of equipment breakdowns or sudden changes in weather conditions,” Lundell specifies.

Transport service provider Powder-Trans and Chemigate have joined forces to perform risk analyses that bring greater safety. Part of the analysis involves studying all unloading points, practices, and customer instructions with a customer representative. The customer-specific analysis covers all phases of the receipt of incoming goods.

Moving with the times

According to Lundell, the transport industry is currently undergoing rapid changes.

“We transport hundreds of tons of goods a year. In addition to raw-material and production costs, transport has emerged as a major expense,” he says.

More compromises are now required between cost-efficiency and meeting tight schedules. The transport companies cannot afford any waiting times.

“Trucks now need to be on the move at all times, making it all a bit of a balancing act. However, good partners make optimal transport solutions possible,” Lundell says, praising the collaboration with Chemigate’s partners.